Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Taking ukemi* from a master


The Aim

It has always been my wish to be able to make nice somersault- when taking ukemi. I can still recall the first time I attended a seminar, I used to day-dream that one day I would be able to instill the “oohs and the ahhs” amongst my fellow practitioners.


Why Ukemi?

My sensei always emphasized on good ukemi. Only through ukemi, can an uke ( attacker/ giver ) learn how a technique is applied effectively. Since Day 1 I have been learning the basic back / front fall and roll. We also have what our sensei like to refer it as banana skin fall. ( an effective evasion against fast inward bound attacks)

Non aikido practitioners are perplexed over the ukemi that we do. Questions like the purpose of the ukemi and comments that the whole process looks staged and coordinated are often heard.

Aikidoka execute an ukemi to prevent further damage from the nage during the execution a technique. It will also serve as an evasive purpose to prepare for counter attack. Rarely in other martial arts do you see this form of practice. This unique ukemi technique aims to prepare a student to embrace an aikido execution and at the same time improve the physique by enhancing the agility, speed and stamina.

Taking ukemi is energy sapping. Try this – stand straight then lie down , then get up and then down again..repeatedly for 10 times. In no time you will start to pant for breath. In ukemi taking, the aikidoka would need to be able to react to the nage and in split second movement take the fall to the front or back, depending on the direction of techniqe. Therefore as an early practitioner, ukemi practice is important so that it becomes second nature to them because in a demo, there really is no time to think. The body automatically reacts to a technique. It is this form of conditioning exercise that builds an aikidoka’s skill.

Repetitious ukemi can cause injury to body especially if the matt does not cushion the fall well or the aikidoka has a habit of falling hard instead of landing softly. The pain from aikido training is something an aikidoka develop tolerance towards. Some friends of mine have once commented that Aikidokas are masochist

The Opportunity

Wherever the Shihan ( grandmaster) stands to give a demo, there will be a tendency for Uke volunteers to gather near him. They consist of Yudanshas ( Dan 1-Black Belt holders) and other higher ranking sensei. This phenomenon is widely seen in seminars, classrooms etc. for a simple reason- Taking the Ukemi. Usually, the Shihan would have a preferred list of Uke (his direct students or high ranking aikidokas).Most volunteers will make their best flipping ukemi in order to do justice to the Shihan’s excellent technique and I was definitely one of them.

My long awaited ukemi calling finally became a reality. During the 8th Aikido Seminar by Sugano Shihan, I had the golden opportunity to be his ukemi. I was offered to strike him with a shomen uchi ( knife hand strike to the head).

Attack Shihan !

But I froze….
When the Shihan asked me to strike him, I was eager to raise my hand and charge at him, after all only a committed attack is respected. Instead of letting instincts take over, my mind actually froze – stopped. I was thinking, should I really be committed in the attack since Shihan is senior in age and has lost a leg. ( He is using a prosthetic). Thoughts of myself hitting too fast and hard which made the Shihan difficult to execute a technique ran across my mind. The question of should or should not kept me in the frozen position.

Now, I clearly understand why Shihan prefers selected individuals; because they have been there before and knew how much to go for.

Shihan looked directly into my eyes and then muttered shomen -uchi and at the same time put his hand on his head signifying that I should attack him. His words magically pulled me out of the conundrum.

I launched the attack with commitment because I had faith in him; after all 30 odd years of practicing Aikido is an achievement.

More than meets the eye

Shihan reacted with a quick intervention and then a shihon nage throw ( elbow lock throw). His grip was firm yet not painful; firm enough to execute different technique should the need arise if I react differently. His movement was fluid like a well- oiled machine despite the prejudice of a prosthetic leg that observers may impose.

The next thing I remembered after being held by his grip, I was on the mat. I recollected myself and stood on the mat getting ready for another assault.

Same grip, technique execution with flow and slam – I was on the mat again. It happened so fast I could hardly comprehend which technique he used; if not for his explanation post technique. I recalled doing a flip otherwise there is no way to escape but I was unsure because it happened so fast. Later, when I asked my classmates if I flipped, they replied that it was the best ukemi they see me performing.

I smiled secretly in my heart knowing that I have finally done it, after all these years…
Finally, a chance to prove my mettle- the execution of a flipping ukemi.

*Ukemi = Taking a fall by the “attacking” aikidoka ( Uke) towards the “defending” aikidoka (nage). The fall can be a front or back roll or made into a somersault ( flip) if the defender executes a fast and powerful technique.


Background Info: In Aikido, the uke is usually the learning student and the nage ( receiver/ defender) is the teacher. For all intents and purposes for illustrative purposes, the Attacker & Defender terminology is used in this article; HOWEVER it is not encouraged to be used as a reference in Aikido training since peace and harmony is the core of Aikido

No comments:

Post a Comment